Saturday, March 04, 2006

January 27th

Aahhhh the MONTAGE;

The guys from South Park sure had fun with montage. So much so they made a song about...."It's a montage....FUCK YEAH!!!"

So today, I started to tackle one of the films large montages. It was to be a montage and it's gonna remain a montage. The thing with montage....(how many times can I say montage, so I'm going to use every synonym that I can think of for 'montage') SO the thing with 'medley''s is they are fun for me to edit.

Because there is NO continuity, or particular sequence of shots that MUST be used, creating a 'hodgepodge' of shots is all about telling the story with just. The challenge is to also keep the energy up and the shots interesting or your 'melange' will fall flat.

Also, a well paced piece of music always helps.

So the visual 'smorgasbord' that I created today is kinetic and entertaining as well as little bit mysterious. My internal battle is now, do I go with dissolves between shots or straight cuts.Usually I'm AGAINST the dissolve. But for this particular 'conglomerate', it seems to work and contrary to my initial belief, the dissolves actually increase the pace. Because during the dissolve, you actually see 2 images layered, the shots can be shortened by the amount of time in the layering. Also, the viewer is looking at 2 things atonce.

I'm not set on the 'montage' (okay, I ran out of synonyms) with dissolves, but for today, it was pleasant surprise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

Powered by Blogger