Wednesday, April 19, 2006

APRIL-19 - MUSIC and a Tangent Rant

Well, things are going smoothly..... a few little bumps here and there, but I think the sound is progressing well... as far as I know.


Today I had the pleasure of getting my initial listen to Kurt Swinghammers score as it sounds now. It's always scary, probably more so for the composer, listening for the first time.

As I have been watching "THE CHAIR" now for months with the temp. Music that I have stolen from various other soundtracks and tunes etc. So I am used to that music. To even watch the film with new music is weird. It would be like watching another actor in a role. But then to evaluate the music and it's effect without trying to be bias to what you are accustomed to is difficult.

Well, as usual, Kurt had some GREAT surprises. Sounds and music used in way that I was NOT expecting. So at first viewing, you are a wee bit stunned.... then once you start to get into the vibe and understand the motivations.... it's outstanding. Kurt's job is not to just layer music in through-out the film, he wants to give the score a character and raison d'etre. He gives themes and moments distinct moods and instrumentation. Needless to say, he puts much thought into it.

On the otherhand, because he is making 'choices' that are sometimes 'ballsy', I may NOT agree with his sensibility. It's weird, as here is the guy from a Toronto suburb with near no musical training, me, telling this other guy with plenty of training and experience, to change what he has done.... I kinda feel guilty. What right do I have?

Well, it's my job I guess. I take ALL these various elements; story, performance, costume, photography, set design, and try to fit them into my 'vision'. It sounds a little pretentious and precious, but that's my job I guess. Just to communicate my thoughts and desires as I see these various factors affecting the whole.

Okay... that was all serious a stuff.... I didn't intend on writing all that..... That's just what popped into my head. And as people who know me are aware of, I have NO filter between what my brain thinks and what comes out of my mouth (or keyboard) and it gets me in trouble sometimes.

On a separate note, ALEX K. left a comment for me to ridicule her as I think she fell for the APRIL FOOL's joke of changing the film's title to "CREAK". Oh Alex..... no ridicule needed.... you just totally trust me ... and it is I who let you down.... I fibbed to YOU. I'm ashamed of my naughty behaviour. It will NEVER happen again.

Yeah right.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I make fun of Alex K. the next time I see her? Hell, I'll probably do it anyways... ;).

4:45 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

Actually Adam, I think that is your duty.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I saw a post about you on space cast. Where you involved with GingerSnaps/1/2/3 and if so how Brett?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

Hey Brynet;

Brett Here.... Yes I was involved in the three Ginger Snaps. I edited the original, directed the second "UNLEASHED", and was involved in story concepts for the second and third. They are each a VERY unique. The three films make an interesting and unusual trilogy in my opinion... but I am kind of biased.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

Powered by Blogger