Thursday, May 18, 2006

GUEST BLOGGER - FOLEY ARTIST MARILEE

When Brett approached me about being the Foley artist on his film I was filled with feelings of jubilance and honour. I began preparation post haste. I was working at the time as a referee in the basement of a mexican hat shop where there was an illegal cock fight arena. I spent the nights collecting the dollar bills from the floor and fist fighting. Since the "incident" I have a had a rare and irrational fear of chairs. Irrational since the "incident" had nothing to do with chairs at all. Plus that was the 80's! I decided that I probably needed to get over it and thus began my quest. We did the work of 10 pirates and created some of the scariest sounds a chair has ever made.

As a foley artist my job is to recreate all the sounds that the actor(s) makes as a result of movement and prop manipulation. All the footsteps and clothing moves are also recreated because the mic's on set are designed to pick up the dialogue, in as clean a fashion as possible. In effect the subtle but nessesary sounds are lost. We add them in so as to enhance the movie viewing experience.

It was a great experience doing 'The Chair". We laughed and laughed because of the delirium which is nice... it's great to have fun at work! I got over that insideous chair fear thing and I met some really great people. This movie is going to be huge. I think as big as Titanic so when I am famous I can say I owe it all to Brett Sullivan. Thanks everyone...thanks for nothing! Wait....that's not right.... I mean thanks for real.

Marilee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

Powered by Blogger