Friday, June 02, 2006

JUNE 02 - BONJOUR

I'm still in Montreal. Enjoying the vibrant city and the warm weather... if you really care.

On "THE CHAIR" front, I received a DVD here with the film as it stands now. The sound mix AND the picture are 90% there. I watched the DVD and first impressions were fantastic... it really is a GOOD movie. Of course maybe I'm biased and I'm sufferung from Stockholm Syndrome. but I think we all pulled together and made a fantastic film, regardless of the cost. I'm REALLY proud. Less than a year ago, this project wasn't even an idea yet... WOW. You'll see.... it looks and sounds super.

There's always a but though. We still have to go back to the sound mix and clean up some dialogue and music and also fix some picture issues. In both cases, the issue is going for style OVER substance. For the picture, we have added 'vignetting' around most of the film... added darkness around the edges. It's there is you look for it, but in most cases, it's subtle. There were moments where I wanted a more 'stylized' vignette. And those are apparent and maybe I wnet to far. If at any moment in the film the style makes the audience think 'oh that's cool' or they actually notice the 'effect', I went too far. Cuz then, the viewers have 'stepped out' of the story we are telling and they become aware of the filmmaking process. I don't like seeing that in other movies, and i don't want it in this one. We have tried to build this suspenseful, eerie film full of impending fread, and if the audience is distracted, the moment and the mood is temporarily lost. So, when I get back, I will try to fix those moments.

ASs for the sound, it's a similar issue, but with comprehension. There are moments when the soyund design, music or sound effects overpower the dialogue. It's a question of the story being understandable and making sense. But it's also a case of keeping the viewer 'in' the moment. If they have to struggle to hear, or ask the oerson next to them waht was just said, we've lost them. The more I can hold their undivided attention the better. And hopefully I can take them on a morbid and macabre ride that makes sense and is visually attractive..... fingers crossed.

All that said, my partners and I agreed that is 'good enough' for the screeners at Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) to see. Of course we will send them the 'caveats' and the conditions commenting on the state of the films 'unfinished' position.

Now... to respond to few comments...

1 - I LOVE vampire movies. If they add to the legend and take a fresh approach and they have vulnerabilities. I don't like NOT knowing what the vamps weaknesses are and I don't like them being OMNIPOTENT... I like vampire films that are 'semi' realistic and play within the 'real' world.

2 - THAT's IT... there are no more comments/questions.... nobody cares.

Well then, I'm in Montreal until early July I guess...


PS - Know what ... I did NOT spell check this BLOG - DEAL WITH IT!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great comments, Brett, but where's a photo? Give us something: weird guy in freaky wig, deformed cat/dog (I don't know what the hell that thing is,) or my favorite - naked guy pumping iron. I just love your homo-erotic side.
Yours,
Anonymous Guy Hooked On Freaky Fotos

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous freak guy...more freaky photos. There must be something freaky in mtl...You seem to attract these freaks....

go beserker.

phil

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

Powered by Blogger