Tuesday, June 06, 2006

June 06 - CRAZIEST FUCKING THING I'VE SEEN

Well I'm still in Montreal. I don't have much "THE CHAIR" news, sorry. Things are kinda at a stand-still as I am in Quebec.

And I want to address the comments from the last blog. Yeah I know there were NO pictures.... and boy did both the readers let me know how disappointed they were the lack of photos. GEEZ. What about all the lovely prose? Not entertaining enough for ya eh.

Well, let me tell you about, as Stephen Colbert says, "The Craziest Fucking Thing I've Ever Seen".

But firstly, how I got there. This past Sunday, I went walking around Montreal. The city is so full of little events. Firstly, the downtown core was shut down for a bike rally thingy... I'm not sure exactly what it was, but there were thousands of people, all ages, riding bikes thru the car-less streets as people cheered them on.

I also happened upon a bunch of these slacker type dudes doing this weird dance. They were in like four groups, 3-4 to a group. One guy would move his legs at a rapid speed, bending and twisting them at the same time as he was bending and twisting his body. It was this bizarre dance. Then he would stop and another dude take over. As I got closer, I could see the guys were actually playing 'foot-bag', y'know like Hackysack. But not with partners, they were balancing and juggling these little sacks with their feet. It was truly amazing the things they were doing.... Over the head, spinning, back of the foot, heel, around the other leg etc. Just looked plain awesome. The dexterity was incredible.

Then I walked to to the mountain.... I wanted to watch and listen to the Tam-Tam, which is this wacky hippie drumming jam for all ages. It's every Sunday and it attracts hundreds of all shapes, ages. As I sat amongst the wafting haze of the pot smoke, this metal dude behind me asked his metal friend "Do you wanna go see the nerds?" They left. A few minutes later I went in search of "the nerds".

I found them.

It was this group of about 50 'nerds' involved in mock medeivel battle. Some were dressed in home-made costumes; chain mail, tunics, tartans, helmets etc.
They would line up, then charge at each other with these homemade weapons; swords, spears, maces, sheilds etc. All covered and protected with foam. Oh there were rules as heated discussions would break out over who lost an arm first, or who should be lying in a pool of their blood. As I was leaving, I saw small 'groups' of fresh recruits with their own crafted foanm weapons enterring the park eager to join the mock melee


But even stranger than the battling geeks, was the fact that a few of them were 'female'. WHAT????

It was "the craziest fucking thing I've ever seen"

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Battling geeks, I love it, man. Keep 'em comin'. The only that would make it better would be monkeys. Nothing says weird like a monkey with a foam battleaxe.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice work captain - looks like you had a cool weekend.

were you excited? not sexually i mean... um....just that..uh..medievil women with axes well.... and the pounding of the drums i mean....

forget it.

phil

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caw!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o.k so I'm impressed with the implication that you are impressed......However, some people love this stuff and this is how they fit in. Not everyone expresses themselves in the same way....Wow!! you don't get it....

8:48 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

Yes it was the Craziest Fucking Thing I Have Seen... AND YES I was 'poking' fun at the uniqueness of the mock battles, BUT if you look at the subtext, and read between the lines, I talked about three different groups of people, spending their Sundays on recreation... each had a different version of fun and relaxation. I LOVE the fact that these 'geeks' are doing this... it's GREAT.... it's crazy, but it's great. No different than the guys that put on equipment and throw a pigskin... Each his own... as long as people are not killing each other and everybody is there by their own free will, it's all GREAT. Can you imagine being a Medeivel Knight coming across a game of basketball... he would say... "Yonder Lies Ye Craziest Fucking Thing I have ever seen" And, for the love of god... even the Republicans can laugh at themselves... then so can the nerds. (opinions expressed are only mine)

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's just brilliant, i wish i had a huge group of nerdy friends. lol, i like the tagline for your new film. Glad i decided to stalk you on myspace now, if i hadn't searched for your name i wouldn't have known about the movie for a while. Stalking is THE BEST, i should do it more often.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo!!! STALK!!!! I'm watching you see, see, here i am, i'm here, it's scary isn't it!?
Also i saw you in Ginger Snaps Unleashed, Mr Sullivan, in the library, in the cut scene, i saw you, see because i was also in the library, indeed it's true, and i saw you filming the movie, i can't now though, cos i gave my canadian copy of Ginger Snaps Unleashed to my friend, cos i bought the UK version, which although it works on my tv, i regret cos it doesn't have anywhere near as many special features as the canadian version, no commentary and only a bit of the behind the scenes stuff. I wish you were in charge of the third film 'Ginger Snaps Back' too, cos that wasn't as good, it made me sad, then i didn't pay my webhosting fee and yahoo deleted my ginger snaps fansite, which i couldn't restore cos i only had it online, RIP BaileyDowns.com, also, did you sign the guestbook for that website once, someone did and said they were you. Oh and if you log into myspace accept my friend request, that way i can be your friend :)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wandering Brett, did you catch your friend John Fawcetts 'The Dark'? and if you did, what did you think of it?

6:42 PM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

Graham;

I have yet to see the DARK. I'm working with Fawcett now in Montreal on a 'mostly' U.K. mini series called 'BON VOYAGE'.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh awesome, just watched the behind the scenes video on the movie site, i love that it showed a clip of another one of my favourite films 'A Tale Of Two Sisters' makes me want to see 'the chair' even more, i admit, i do love films with horribly depressing endings, like the ending to GS2, i wanted to burst out laughing at ghosts monologue at the end, but i was too mortified over Brigitte. Didn't Emily Perkins say there might be a TV series of Ginger Snaps,if there was would you want to be involved with it?

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah cool, canada and the UK produce a lot fo tv shows together, i've never heard of it though, i'll look it up now. Theres a canadian show i'd like to see that has Tatiana Maslany in it '2030 CE' it hasnt played here though, it looks a lot like a new zealand show called 'The Tribe'. I caught 'The Dark' a while back when it played in cinemas for a short time here, i had to go to leeds to see it though, i thought it was ok, it's got a lot of simularities to 'Silent Hill' which is quite good, it has some good scenes, especially near the end, but after seeing it and noticing its by the same writer of 'Ginger Snaps Back' i think that writer 'Stephen Massicotte' is really heavily influenced by the american remake of 'Ring' i mean i assume it was filmed and directed using his descriptions from the screenplay. Some of the images and the way they are shown are so identical to the ones used in 'The Ring', i felt that way when i first saw 'Ginger Snaps Back' too.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett -
Give it up and give us blog. Something must be happening with The Chair. What the hell are your so-called "partners" doing?

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more blogs please good sir!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Brett Sullivan said...

Yeah... I Know... I'm gonna try to write one soon... Can't believe it's beem almost 3 weeks since my last one.... I SUCK

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Hit Counter
Free Web Counter

Powered by Blogger